9.24.2007

be the example

One of the reasons I make an effort to volunteer is because I ask the same of my members. When I had the opportunity to blog for a conference, I took it because I knew I was about to ask my members to do the same. I agreed to help start a community because I had asked my members to do the same. I have attended networking events as a host, because I ask my members to do the same.

That's not to say that is the only reason I volunteer. I do it because I believe in the organization. I enjoy meeting others in my profession. I learn a lot.

Here's what I haven't been able to figure out... where are the groups for working moms? I know I could learn a lot. I probably have something to share, though I'm new at it. Aside from connecting with the moms in the office, I have to believe there is something out there, some resource or network or community, that can help. I've found a few grassroots efforts out there - some locally based (DC Urban Moms), some entrenched in the politics of parenthood (I mean politics in the literal sense) (Moms Rising). I've even found a Yahoo! group for DC working moms. But there's virtually no community that solely addresses the daily challenges and opportunities that face working moms. What are they thinking about? How are they making choices? How do they deal with time constraints?

I wonder why. Is it a lack of time? Is it because no one out there has started it? Who will be the example? Can we formalize what appears to be an informal network among moms, made up of friends, neighbors and family?

I'd like to meet other moms in the same position. I bet I'd learn a lot.

1 comment:

Carmella Bernstein said...

As founder of the BE THE EXAMPLE NETWORK I am very impressed with your concerns. They are exactly what our non profit organization is all about.
Please contact me for further information on ways that you can be a part of this movement to change the direction of where our character is headed in this country.
Visit our website: Cowan Sunset High School Homepage

Carmella Bernstein
Executive Director/Founder
Be The Example Network, Inc.
5300 East Russell Road
Las Vegas, Nevada 89122
(702) 799-6370 x5107
cbernstein@interact.ccsd.net