2.01.2008

are you ready for web 2.0?

I just listened in on a session about this topic, where the presenter accurately noted that it's not about the technology you use, it's about the value it brings to the members. Not surprisingly, the question came up, "What if someone says something bad about you on your own association's blog?"

I didn't get a chance to answer that question, and quite frankly, I didn't feel like yelling from the back of the room, so here is my response:

1. I'd rather have someone criticize me on my blog, than to start a blog elsewhere and criticize me. At least I'd know right away, and I'd be positioned to do something about it.
2. No one, trust me, no one wants to read a glossy, glowing, triple-proofed blog about how great your association is. Controversy and intellectual discussion will drive people to your site. Dissent is useful! And it raises the bar...
3. Your members and your readers will have much more respect for your association if you allow - dare I say - encourage, diverse points of view on your site.
4. Encouraging diverse perspectives on your blog may actually help you do something about the lack of your diversity in your association (an issue that many, many associations face, but don't know how to address).

I think ASAE's Acronym blog is an excellent example of how this works. And works well.

5 comments:

Lindy Dreyer said...

All good points. I've been looking for new ways to communicate that embracing dissent where you can address it is far preferable to letting it spread behind your back. But just saying "control is an illusion" is not enough.

Operating in the Web 2.0 world without dissent is analogous to holding a national election without debate. How do you advance any agenda without covering divergent viewpoints.

Kristi Donovan said...

Thanks Lindy. I would add, how do you develop an agenda without being aware of the divergent viewpoints that exist?

Bob Wolfe said...

All good comments, I ecspecially like the first. If members have something to say, they'll say it whether in their blog, word of mouth, etc. Associations should give them an outlet and embrace those constructive critical comments because they only way to truly grow is to see where you fall short.

I also talked to ASAE to try to get a wireless mic for Q&A for future events. Sorry to miss your comments at the session,

Lisa Junker said...

Thank you for your kind words about Acronym, Kristi! I'm really glad that we have the opportunity to showcase a variety of viewpoints--it makes the blog a lot more interesting, to me.

I do think that associations often forget that Web 2.0 doesn't create the dissent--it just makes it easier for us to see the dissent when it's happening. When people are just talking over lunch about some problem they have with your association, you'll never know about it. Online, Web 2.0 allows us to see the concerns and even respond to them--which is actually a huge benefit. We get so caught up in feeling bad about negative comments that we forget that they're actually a gift. Someone cares enough about our organization to want it to be better!

Anonymous said...

Hi

This is a wonderful opinion. The things mentioned are unanimous and needs to be appreciated by everyone

scott

working mums