2.15.2009

this economy sucks

A sentiment shared by many I'm sure. It's challenging at home too since my husband lobbies in the financial services industry. I find myself frequently pelting him with questions just to get a better handle on what and why things are happening. Recently, I asked somewhat rhetorically, "When are the people who got us into this mess going to suffer the consequences of their actions?" Maybe it was an elementary question, which is probably why I got a deer-in-headlights look back from my husband. I know the answer is never, and that the blame could be spread amongst such a vast amount of people that there's simply no logical way to dole out justice, but it just doesn't seem right.

I was talking to a friend recently who said she had to believe that there is something greater for all of us to learn from this experience. I agree. I also think there is a terrific lesson to be learned in discerning our wants from our needs. But I think it also needs to be tempered with a plan-for-the-future-but-live-like-tomorrow's-your-last-day perspective. I'm not sure how you teach that kind of balance though.

No comments: