7.03.2007

still here...

Yes, I am. Still here. Been caught up in an unexpected challenge over the last few days at work. You know when you have a great idea, but then reality smacks you in the face and you realize that your great idea is about 10 times the work you thought it would be? Yeah, that's what happened. It was the right thing to do, but it cost a lot of my time and my coworkers time. I'm pretty lucky that they haven't completely lost it with me.

This has prompted me to consider, once again, what it is that drives me, us, to continue to try to improve. Occasionally, I find myself down in the dumps... in despair... looking for a way out. Whatever it is. Work, school, life. I just get frustrated, tired, bored, irritable. Maybe my attention span is much shorter than it really should be. But I always find a way out of the slump. There's this strange inner force. A force that drives me to keep trying - sometimes even when I know inside that it's probably a futile effort.

Today's project? Well that was no futile effort - it was completely worthwhile. But heaven knows I was ready to give up. Yeah, if it goes well I should see a nice bump in revenue come this fall, but more importantly, if it goes well, the right people will come to my party - my conference - enriching the experience for the rest of the attendees. Not unlike a dinner party, where you really want to find the right mix of folks to sustain a rich, intellectual (heck, just fun would be fine) dialogue all night. If I get all the right people at the meeting - then yes, it'll be like a fantastic dinner party - one that lasts three days.

No comments: